RegEx Replace Text -- strip leading and trailing spaces

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Thu Apr 14 09:19:03 EDT 2005

Hi Wouter

On Apr 14, 2005, at 3:52 AM, Wouter wrote:

> On 14 Apr 2005, at 01:49, Ken Ray wrote:
>
>> On 4/13/05 2:47 PM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> get matchText(pString, "(?s)^[ \t\r\n]+(.*?)[ \t\r\n]+$", tReturnVal)

> Wow, lots of things happen when sleeping :-).
> The matchtext version is soooo much slower (about 30x which makes it
> for me a no no in an extended repeat loop).

I  forgot where in your script you are using the matchtext but in a
recent script, I was using matchtext on a large variable and it was
taking a long time. When I switched and called matchtext for each line
in a repeat for each loop, it became considerably faster:

put matchtext(bigtextvar,regex) into newtext was slow but

repeat for each line l in bigtextvar
put matchtext(l,regex) & return after newtext
end repeat

was much faster.

Ron