Flesxible looping [Was: Making Revolution faster with really big arrays]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Apr 13 15:08:36 EDT 2005

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> People working on computer languages generally avoid (and with good
> reason) adding new keywords.

True in general, but this is Transcript, which already has over 250
keywords (a fair number of which have changed in or since 2.0), so I
didn't feel the same need to restrain myself :-)

But you're right - if it can be done by reusing existing keywords (or
operators) that would be better.

> Have you considered "and for" rather than "also"?

Yes, I did, but was worried that there would be ambiguities with
existing usages of 'and' as an operator.
(e.g. repeat while x and y   is valid today)

It's hard to tell when there's no published BNF or formal language
description; if 'and for' can be parsed unambiguously, it would be better.