Weird PC Transcript error problems....Help!!

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 01:54:25 EDT 2005

--- Bob Earp <rjearp at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The following is repeatable on both an HP laptop and
> a desktop running
> WinXP.  This along with a number of other
> inconsitencies of Rev on PC's is
> driving me crazy to the point I'm on the verge of
> giving up on it, and I
> really don't want to.  If anybody can help I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> [snip]
>
> However, if I add "put the ticks" in the second
> example as follows, I get an
> "unquoted literal" error at the line "unlock screen
> with visual iris open".
>
> on mouseUp
>   put the ticks
>   hide grp "Foo"
>   lock screen
>   show group "Foo"
>   unlock screen with visual iris open
> end mouseUp
>
> I can repeat this with other handlers and get
> different errors, but in every
> case I do not get errors when doing the same on a
> Mac.
>
> Is the error handling different on the PC ?   I have
> reloaded Rev a couple
> of times and just accept the default settings
> regarding the script editor
> etc.
>
> Thanks for your consideration, Bob...

Hi Bob,

Try putting quotes around the name of your visual
effect, as in :
  unlock screen with visual "iris open"

Coulb it be that you have turned on the 'Variable
checking' option in the script editor on Windows, and
not on Mac ?

When variable checking is on, the compiler is strict
and wants the name of every variable declared in
advance (global or local) before you can use it.

When it is off, the compiler will convert what it
thinks is the name of a variable, to a variable with
the content of what you scripted, so in the case :
  unlock screen with visual iris open
it will interpret it as :
  unlock screen with visual "iris open"
based on some internal heuristics of what it would
expect to follow next after
  unlock screen with visual

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.