Physiological data acquisition via USB

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon Apr 11 17:47:05 EDT 2005

>On Apr 11, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Mr D Glasgow wrote:
>
>>If that changes, and you are reading this in the archive, drop me a
>>line.  (Unless it is after 2010  when I won't be that interested
>>any more, and USB will have gone the way of.....well everything in
>>the world of computer connectivity)
>
>Some USB devices for DAQ look just like a serial device.  This might
>not be the case for yours, but it might.  If so, it would look like,
>say, COM5: on Windows.
>
>Dar Scott
>
>--

I recently discovered that USB ports in Windows (probly macintosh
too) are highly configurable. Click on the hardware tab in the system
control panel, find the com ports item, open it, double click on the
com port you want to use. Lotsa configurations there.

Nevertheless, I recently tried to program a biomedical device with a
9 pin serial port, using a USB-->serial adaptor, on Windows XP. As
far as I can tell, I did everything right. It still didn't work.
Possibly the problem lay with the programming software rather than
the com port. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I missed the front end of this thread, so I'm just guessing at the
original question. I hope I wasn't too far off. If I was, well, never
mind.

TM