ARE YOU SERIOUS REV TEAM? MAJOR SCRIPT EDITOR ISSUES

Bob Warren warren at howsoft.com
Sat Apr 9 16:03:45 EDT 2005

Since Microsoft decided to assassinate VB6 about 2 years ago, I have been
looking for some kind of satisfactory alternative. I quite soon encountered
Transcript, which is even more friendly and user-oriented than Basic. I was
overjoyed. But since then I have been bugged (if you will excuse the pun) by
what to me is an eccentric and confusing IDE/Script Editor. I fully agree
with Peter when he says:-

"these glaring issues make your
product look like a beta or late alpha.  I don't mind
issues in other areas but the SCRIPT EDITOR IS SACRED!"

-and for this reason I have been terribly frustrated. I have never
wholeheartedly adopted RunRev, and probably never will, unless another of
Peter's recommendations is finally adopted:

"I see that you keep adding and adding more to Rev, why
not SUBTRACT things that don't work and get the others
working properly."

As other List members have pointed out, there have been improvements over
the last few years, but it is obvious that you cannot make a silk purse out
of a sow's ear. I will never forget what my mathematics teacher wrote in my
school report at the age of 11: "Robert should not let a pleasing manner be
a substitute for real effort". Unfortunately, much of the very friendly
advice Peter has received from the List adds up to "Don't waste your time
complaining about the dangerous state of the road, just drive around the
potholes". I note that Peter is apparently already beginning to feel ashamed
of himself, and, who knows, he will eventually become just one more sucker
who has involved himself in an unfortunate love affair.

As for myself, I will crawl back into my usually silent corner again and
pray that at least before the century is out (if I live that long), RunRev
will have decided to do something about their IDE.