ARE YOU SERIOUS REV TEAM? MAJOR SCRIPT EDITOR ISSUES

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Apr 9 10:07:42 EDT 2005

Peter,

As Richard suggested, you should contact support at runrev.com and see if
they can help you with any of these issues. There's also a Bugzilla
database you can peruse and add to as well.

Another serious bug to look out for is the 'breakpoints' bug. If you
have set breakpoints ('red dot') in your scripts and rename a stack or
stack file, you can bring the whole thing crashing down. Here's why. RR
stores a list of your breakpoints in a special custom prop set, just
like it does the script formatting. It stores it using the long name of
the stack, and if it get's changed, then when it 'looks it up' it can't
find it and undelicately crashes.

The fix is pretty easy, either get in the habit of removing breakpoints,
or use my altClean plugin anytime you change the name(s) of a stack
(thanks Xavier for helping track this down!).

Sorry there are so many 'gotchas', but once you know where the potholes
are, you get in the habit of not 'stepping' in them. It still doesn't
excuse them, but it's nice to know there are a lot less of them now than
there were a year ago.

As I mentioned, the altArchive plugin saves serialized versions of your
code with a single button press. If you're worried about losing code,
that's one solution which is used by many. I can't remember the last
time I lost any substantial scripts.

Please keep asking questions here. There are lots who have been down the
same road and are eager to help.

best,

Chipp