ARE YOU SERIOUS REV TEAM? MAJOR SCRIPT EDITOR ISSUES

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Apr 9 07:50:33 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've been using RunRev on and off for about a year now. I must say
this I kind of agree with you about the Script Editor. However I
really don't see it as that big an issue if you just follow the
following rules:

1. Don't use the Single Handler Mode. It's annoying because I like
the locals, globals and parameters tabs that show you what the
handler is using.

2. Under Mac OS (9 and X) there seem to be a lot of window refresh
problems when switching to Single Handler Mode anyway, e.g. to see
the code properly you have to click the window "zoom" button else the
left edges get cut off.

3. I have taken to using the "Apply Scrtipt and Save Stack" Command
from the File Menu (wish I could assign this a Command Key) before
running a changed script. I also Copy and Paste the Script into a
Text File before before I do a big change or I just copy and Paste
the whole object into a "temp" Stack (I always have a "temp" stack
while I am developing in RunRev and Drop all kinds of temp objects
and code into it. You can always just Hide the Stack or Delete it
before final distribution.

You can also use the "Enter" key (as apposed to the return key) which
will Apply the script and then hitting it again will close the window.

So to quickly Apply, Save the Whole Stack and Close the Script
Window, Use "Apply Script and Save Stack" and hit "Enter".

I would just love it if there were another File Menu Command "Apply,
Save Stack and Close Script"  and it had a Command Key assigned to it.

Is there any way to "patch" the IDE to do this.

4. Yes, I agree, loads of windows do seem to appear all over the
place. I have two 17 inch monitors and it's really hard to organise
and place the IDEs windows where you would like them. For instance I
would like all the IDE windows to be on the second screen (which has
a higher resoltion) and the App I am working on to be on the Main
Monitor (where is is most likely to be when the end user is running
the app), but some IDE windows insist on opening on the Main montior
instead of the monitor I moved it to last time. This is annoying to
say the least! The App Browser does this which is particulary
upsetting!

5. I agree, the formatting and colorizations don't work correctly.
It's a pain and I wish it were fixed. I don't understand how "rect"
seems always to be colored correctly but "rectangle" only seems to be
colorized at more or less random! I found doing a select all and then
manually selecting "formatting" and "colorization" sometimes does the
trick.

6. There are other editors you could use, I see there is a plugin to
allow you to use BBEdit. Does anyone know if there is a plugin
available for CodeWarrior. I am looking into this now. I would like
to see how I got on using an external editor, it may speed up the
whole process, however I don't know how it would work in the
debugger????

7. Another moan is that the property inspector (and other PopUp
windows) do not respond to Command+W, so if you open an inspector by
accident and then Command+W to close it again, the wrong window
closes!!! Grrrrr!!!! If it just ignored the Command+W if a Floating
Window had focus it would be nice!

I agree that there are some major issues with the Script Editor, and
to be honest, the whole way in which scripts are edited, debugged and
maintained, should be looked at and completely redesigned/rewritten
IMO. The way in which you have grope around in order to find and open
a script is not very nice. You can use the "revNavigator" plug in
which helps to EditScripts and takes up much less room on the monitor
than the Application Browser. But that only provies fast(er) access
to an objects script. The Apply/Save Issues are still there.

Also it would be nice to have some kind of Source Control Built into
the Scripting Editor/Maintenance System. This is a major advantage of
using an IDE/Editor like code warrior. You could create a "dummy"
CodeWarrior Project (and echo it to a source control system) with
each file being a script for an RunRev object. The compile/make phase
could send these files to RunRev, which would then Compile and
Replace the script with the text from the CodeWarrior Compile/Make
Process.

This would quite a good way of doing things in lue of a better Script
Editor/Maintenance system. Is it possible?!!

However, with all the issues I have pointed out, it still doesn't put
me off using RunRev, I find that I can be much more productive even
with there issues and I am sure that they will be addressed and fixed
in the fullness of time and I will then be even more productive!

I hope that this helped you to get around the annoyances of the
Script Editor and that you continue to use RunRev and eventually
contribute some useful knowledge to the community.

All the Best
Dave