Ann: Greenhouse effect on Venus

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Wed Apr 6 09:27:24 EDT 2005

It is worthwhile to examine what effect greenhouse gases have on the
temperature of other planets besides Earth. It turns out that Venus
is very hot, about 832 degrees Fahrenheit. But how much of this due
to greenhouse gases and how much to the fact that it is closer to the
Sun?

To neutralize the proximity effect I have introduced a comparison
standard, a Blackbody planet. In the stack below it is possible to
place this imaginary planet anywhere in the (near) solar system and
observe its temperature, the steady state temperature when the
incident solar radiation absorbed by the black body is balanced by
thermal radiation from the black body, something that is easy to
compute.

It doesn't make any predictions for our planet (Just the astronomical
facts, ma'm), only that there is a frightening omen on the horizon.

Possibly of some interested to the teachers on the list?

To view this stack, run the following from the msg box:

go url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/GreenhouseEffect.rev"

Jim