Table behavior

Ben Fisher boinjyboing at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:13:31 EDT 2005

I have just started playing around with fields that have "table" behavior. I was planning on writing a little spreadsheet program. However, it appears that the closeField message is not sent to the field when its behavior is like a Table.

This can be demonstrated: create a new Table from the toolbox. Put this in its script:
on closefield
  answer "closefield was called"
end closefield
When the user edits a cell and then clicks on a different field, no message is sent.
But when the "Cell Editing" property of the field is turned off, then the message is sent as I expected.

I'd like to know when the data in the field changes. But if closefield doesn't work (and exitfield is sent only when data is not changed) then what do you use?

-Ben