More trouble with print dialogs

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 3 18:54:16 EDT 2005

I am now trying to implement a printing scheme for the PC version of my
current app. I have constructed a handler that prints a multipage
document. Its input parameters are a title and the text to print. It
works - no frills, but it does the job.

In my 'File' menu don't have a simple one-item 'Print' menu: instead I
have a 'Page Setup' item (I need to provide this in case the user wants
to switch to landscape for example) and several 'Print' subitems, one
for each type of data that I want to print, so the 'Print' part of the
'File' menu looks like
Print...
      Datatype A
      Datatype B
      Datatype C

Well, this works OK **unless** the user chooses to call the 'Page
Setup' item, which uses 'answer printer' as expected by Rev. The
trouble with this is that this opens a dialog which includes not only
stuff about the page and paper settings, but also a 'print' button. If
the user presses this, I won't know about it (it's all taking place
inside Windows XP), so I will not have prepared any data to print.

How do other people cope with this type of problem? It's late, and I
may be confused, but I can't see a way out.

TIA

Graham