When is a menu not a menu?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Apr 2 10:06:42 EST 2005

Hi Graham,

>I found out that
>
>   put exists(menu "myMenu" of grp "Main_Menu" of cd "Main" of stack
> "Main_Display")
>
>results in 'false', whereas
>
>   put exists(btn "myMenu" of grp "Main_Menu" of cd "Main" of stack
> "Main_Display")
>
>returns 'true'
>
>In what circumstances does RR allow me to use the term 'menu' as a synonym
>for button?

Question: What response do you get to 'put exists(menu "My Menu")' when the
menubar is active?

One thing I can tell you with certainty--references to any menu or menuItem
will fail in preopenStack handlers.  It appears to me that Rev does not
recognize any menu until after preopenCard logic has run; so whenever I
need to change a menuItem during preopenStack logic, I find it is necessary
to reference the control as a button instead of a menu.

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company