The Campain Trail

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Apr 1 12:37:29 EST 2005

Hi friends,

> Derek Bump wrote:
>> Imagine if you could create your own "lookAndFeel" types (otherwise
>> known as Skins).  This would be a HUGE advantage.  You could make
>> your own buttons, fields, menus, whatever.  All in all, giving you
>> the ability to make a user experience that much more interesting.
>
> What's stopping anyone from doing this right now?
>
> Altering the rendering routines would be a lot of work, and ultimately
> be very difficult for developers to use.  That's why Apple and most
> others who offer skins and themes do so with a much simpler mechanism
> based on applying images to define the appearance of controls and even
> the window itself.
>
> Elements already under complete control by Rev developers:
> - Window shapes using images
> - Button appearances using images
> - Fill and fore color and patterns for controls and the card
>
> Take a good look at the Apple spec for skinning QT and you may be
> inspired to adopt some of that for making your own skin spec.
> <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/overview/media_skins.html>

thanks, good read and very inspiring :-)

And with Rev we could even go a step beyond by providing a non
functional
copy of our interface with movable controls, the user arranges them,
add images etc...
and clicks OK, we save the new locs, images etc... and voila, a VERY
custom interface :-)

Very quick and wild idea, but easy doable, for sure! :-)

> I'm making one for WebMerge and a couple other apps I'm working on....

Cool as ever, Richard :-)

>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Enjoy your weekend