Accessing parts of arrays

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 15:35:54 EDT 2004

--- "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <revolution at jaedworks.com>
wrote:
> At 10:34 PM +0200 9/29/2004, jbv wrote:
> >another interesting feature would be some sort of
> "find" function
> >for arrays... for instance :
> >     put "myText" into T[5,8]
> >     find "myText" in T  ----> would return "5,8"
> >                                              or a
> list of found
> >chunks if it is in more
> >                                              than
> 1 array cell
>
> I like that idea - have you bugzillaed it as a
> feature request?
>
> (Now I'm wondering about the canonical spelling for
> the past tense of
> "to bugzilla"... ;-)

I like the idea too, but I'd prefer the function name
'elementOffset' (to be in line with itemOffset, etc.)
which would return the key of the first elemnet in
which it was found.

If my memory serves me well, Geoff Canyon started a
thread on the xTalk mailing list a while ago that
proposed functions itemOffsets, wordOffsets and
lineOffsets which would return all the occurences'
locations.

So if we could have an elementOffsets() function, this
would be the best solution for the above request, I
think.

Jan Schenkel.

=====