Does open process work on OS X now?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Sep 29 09:53:35 EDT 2004

Does open process accept parameters on any other platforms?  I didn't
think it would...

Even so, check the docs on "open process": they explicitly state that,
quote (2.2.1 docs), "On OS X systems, you can use the open process
command to start up an application, but not a Unix process."

Thus I suspect that it is not broken, and not a bug, which is why it
was never Bugzilla'd.

If you don't need to track the I/O from the process and simply want to
start it up without waiting for its completion, you could try this:

put shell(my_command & " > /dev/null 2>&1 &") into forgotten_var

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could (easily) use.