[OT] What are the MIME rules for email attachments

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 27 17:11:57 EDT 2004

I have a client for whom I've made an app that saves its data in text
files.  The data is plain text but has a specific structure and I need
to keep it intact when it's sent via email.

What we're finding is that a lot of email clients will copy text
attachments into the body of the email.  Why?  How do we tell
Outlook/Eudora/Hotmail/Mozilla to leave the attachment as an attachment
as the user specified?

Damn, these emails packages are trying to be too smart for their own
good.  Is there a rule somewhere that if you're writing an email client
the widely-published specs for such things don't apply to you? ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation