Prototype or production?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 27 16:25:46 EDT 2004

david at anon.nu wrote:

> Simply put I believe RunRev should have a well thought out open source
> strategy.

Yeah, in my dreams. :)

Imagine what open sourcing the engine would do for consultants (and
adoption in general).

But alas, without the sales revenue the engine owners would be looking
for work....

> Anyway that's what I work on :)  It's fun getting shot down by both the
> open source purists and the proprietary focused business model people.

Yeah, too much dogma on all sides.

But as for open source Rev stacks, it really shouldn't matter that the
engine is proprietary.  After all, no one raises an eyebrow when you
release open source wares that require a proprietary OS to run.

The MetaCard IDE is open source.  I'm sure someone out there may have a
problem with it requring a license for the Rev engine to run, but I'm
having way too much fun making software with it to get bogged down in
silly religiosity. :)

> In the middle there be unexplored turf.

There may also be reasons why it's unexplored.  I'm very cautious when
interpreting the economic "new math" too often foisted by open source
purists.

Don't get me wrong:  I definitely believe in open source; I help manage
two open source projects.  But my belief is very selectively applied.  I
already have a religion; with open source I'm looking for results, not
theology. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation