Prototype or production?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 27 13:07:42 EDT 2004

VHD wrote:
 > On the subject of marketing, I am amazed that I have never heard
 > of runrev before! (and I spend a fair bit of time reading various
 > news tech sites.) I "stumbled" on runrev reading comments some
 > people made on perl.com about using runrev for GUI applications.
 >
 > The sceptic in me is wondering why runrev is not mentioned more
 > frequently on the tech sites I frequent. If it is as good as it
 > claims (which I tend to believe after spending a lot of time
 > researching), why aren't more people using and talking about this
 > product?
 >
 > I think that it may be (partly) due to its "mac" background and
 > is therefore not taken seriously by windows, developers...?
 >
 > Would be interested to know what your thoughts are on this?

The Mac thang is a part of it.  In spite of its Unix origins in 1992,
under RunRev's ownership (they acquired the engine last year) the
product went through a bit of a Mac-centric period.  Given that Mac
folks need cross-platform deployment (Rev's strongest feature is its
ubiquity) and Windows developers generally don't give a hoot about
porting to Mac, maybe that wasn't a bad priority.

Another reason is that marketing thus far has been limited primarily to
trade shows (renowned for their low ROI) and press releases for new
versions.  There are of course a million other ways to spread the word,
and hopefully the product and the company are now in a position to
better seize those opportunities.

But perhaps the biggest reason is that Rev represents a very different
workflow from what one may be accustomed to, defying simple comparison
or even to some degree categorization. Is it a multimedia tool?  A
prototyping tool?  A complete software development kit?  Really it's all
of the above, and uses a language and object model that are unique to
the xTalk world (HyperTalk, SuperTalk, ToolBook's OpenScript, to some
degree early Lingo, etc.).

For myself and many others here who make their living with it, Rev
represents an unprecedented ROI.  But to realize those benefits requires
very different thinking about the process from what developers in more
traditional languages may be used to.

So while it has enormous value, it's not easy to convey that value in a
soundbyte.  But items like this one from their marketing literature
helps, a rather typical example of how simple common GUI app tasks
usually are in Rev:

      How to make an alias to a file:

      C: 18 lines

      BASIC: 55 lines

      Java: 247 lines

      Revolution:  1 line
        create alias newAliasPath to file sourcePath

PS: I recently came across this paper from Richard Hertz on developing
net apps with Rev which may be of interest:
<http://reactorlab.net/intro/deployment_whitepaper.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation