[OT] PAD files, MacPAD, and you

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 20 14:50:07 EDT 2004

The PAD format is a popular XML-based format for describing downloadable
software packages used at a rapidly-growing number of download sites.
Using PAD files allows developers to just use the URL to their PAD file
rather than fill in a complex form for every download site.

But like most things on this planet PAD is an imperfect solution, being
fairly Windows-centric it does not adequately address the needs of
developers who deploy to Mac OS.

name sounds familiar yes, he's the creator of Apple's Extensions Manager
control panel) created the MacPAD format.  While it does a better job of
addressing Mac developer concerns, it is not compatible with the
long-standing PAD format and therefore carries a potential to further
marginalize the Mac platform, making it hard for the many download sites
that currently use PAD to consider also adding Mac listings.

The PAD format is maintained by the Association of Shareware
Professionals (see <http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/>), who maintain a
public NNTP server to facilitate discussion of using and enhancing the
standard:

Mr. Dennis Reinhardt of the ASP is the manager of PAD format maintenance
and enhancement, and has encouraged me to let interested parties know of
the newsgroup so the PAD format can better address the needs of
developers who deploy to multiple platforms.

Ideally, with your help the PAD format will allow us to have a single
compact file for describing our software releases whether we deploy to
Windows, Mac, Linux, or any combination of them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation