Getting a remote file in OS X

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Fri Sep 17 21:30:24 EDT 2004

On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:03 PM, Gregory Lypny wrote:

> Hello Mark Talluto and James Cass,
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Well, I just logged into the host Mac using Remote Desktop.  I can
> confirm that FTP is on and the ports are set to 20, 21, and some other
> big numbers.  The problem appears to be the firewall.  When it's off,
> I can retrieve files; when it's on I can't.  I'm not sure how to set
> passive ftp in Network Preferences as James suggested.  It requires
> some additional information about proxies.
>
> I hope there's a fix.  I need the firewall given that there's a lot of
> mischief that goes on in a university.  On the other hand, there's a
> lot of cool stuff that I can do with Revolution if I can grab file
> information via ftp!

I just want to make sure that you have opened those ports (20 & 21).
There should be no reason why you can not access your server with the
firewall up as long as those ports are open.

Another thought is that you mentioned you are at a university.  You may
need to talk with the system admins that run your net connection.  It
is very probable that they have blocked ftp access on their end.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto