put URL "binfile:" behavior different between message box and handler?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Fri Sep 17 15:01:45 EDT 2004

Okay, it seems I'm at it again.

I have a handler in an image, which contains the following block of
code:

   answer file "Select an image to insert:" as sheet
   put it into l
   if l is not empty and there is a file l then
     answer l
     set the lockLocation of me to true
     put URL "binfile:" & l into me
     set the lockLocation of me to false
   end if

I select a PNG or JPEG image file when prompted, the "answer l" command
(obviously for debugging purposes) displays the correct filename, and
an all-white image is inserted where a nice, fancy, colorful one should
be.  Using

put URL "binfile:/Users/username/Desktop/afile.png" into image
"imageName"

in the message box works as I would expect it to.  I tried the same
image that I used in the message box when answering the select a file
sheet, and the image is filled plain white.

Any clues?  Thank you!

Signup at www.doteasy.com