Mac Classic Apps Run Under OS X but Not On Native Classic

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu Sep 9 13:56:50 EDT 2004

At 12:55 AM -0700 9/8/2004, Jan Schenkel wrote:
>Allow me to agree wiht you in priciple but propose
>sightly diferent contents :
>- MacOS : the good old pre-OS X thing
>- MacOS Classic : the compatibility environment
>- MacOS X : the operating system of the future
>- ...
>
>This way, if you want to check for something that can
>happen on a Mac, regardless of the OS version (such as
>the use of an AppleScript), all you have to do is :
>   if the platform contains "MacOS" then ...

Good point. I agree.

(Although now I'm wondering whether there should be a separate OS
function, with the "platform" becoming simplified -- Mac, Windows, or
Unix -- and the "OS" being more specific, e.g. "OSX" or "Classic" or
"MacOS", "Win95" or "Win2000" or "WinXP", or the various Unix
flavors, etc. Stop me before I rewrite syntax again! ;-)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com