Problems with closeField

JonathanC at ag.nsw.gov.au JonathanC at ag.nsw.gov.au
Wed Sep 8 09:47:14 EDT 2004

... Sarah Reichelt wrote on 08/09/2004 08:25:19 AM:

> It sounds like the field doesn't think it has changed unless you pass
> the key messages. Perhaps you could trap openField and record the
> original contents of the field, then on exitField or focusOut, check if
> it has changed and offer to save that way.

Ken Ray also suggested the problem might be because I don't (normally)
pass keyDown. Trouble is: if I add a "pass keydown" at the end,
Eevveerryytthhiinngg  ccoommeess  oouutt  ddoouubbllee :-) (not
surprisingly, since the script already takes care of putting or removing
any typed characters).

Yes, I have thought of bypassing closeField altogether (1. record original
contents of field in a global. 2. on EXITfield, compare with new contents)
and I "sort of" got it to work (see below*), but I would like to know -
what is it about Revolution that makes the behaviour of closeField so
different to HyperCard?

* Here's where the 'exitField workaround' almost came unstuck for me:
If I entered a new word or phrase and then exited the field, the dialog
"Add <new text> to auto-complete list?" popped up. If I clicked "Cancel",
the insertion point got placed back in the field, just as if I had never
left. I know this because, if I then clicked out of the field, the dialog
would pop up again (so obviously the global was still its original value).
Time for _another_ workaround (!): This time, I had to add a line to
change the global variable to the new text and then "select empty".
So, my openField & closeField handlers were now like this (new lines
marked with "-- <<"):

on openField
  global gOrigFldContent -- <<
  put me into gOrigFldContent -- <<
  put empty into fld "Message" -- (test line only)
  pass openField
end openField

on exitField
  global autoCompleteList
  global gOrigFldContent -- <<
  if me = gOrigFldContent then pass exitField -- <<
  put "Field changed." into fld "Message" -- (test line only)
  put me into temp
  if temp <> "" and not (temp is among the lines of autoCompleteList) then
    answer "Add" && quote & temp & quote && "to auto-complete list?" \
        with "Cancel" or "OK"
    if it = "OK" then
      if last char of autoCompleteList <> return and the length of \
         autoCompleteList > 0 then put return before temp
      put temp after autoCompleteList
      put autoCompleteList into fld "Auto-complete list"
    else put me into gOrigFldContent -- <<
    select empty -- <<
  end if
  pass exitField
end exitField

Regards,
Jonathan

P.S. Sorry to anyone who tried to download my little stack (as
"closeField_problem.zip") but failed. There were problems with our domain
name, which have been sorted now.
I have uploaded a NEW stack that has both the old, closeField, version and
the new, exitField, version:
http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/sub/filechute/closeField_problem2.zip

Jonathan Cooper
Manager of Information / Website
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Sydney, Australia
http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au

This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be confidential.  If you are not the intended
recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or disclose
the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
 Unless specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal
advice or commitment by the sender or the Art Gallery of NSW  (ABN 24 934
492 575) or its related entities.