Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Wed Sep 8 00:03:58 EDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Dan Shafer wrote:

<snip>

> The problem, I submit, is with the fact that dedicated educators can't
> get their schools to buy the right stuff because those schools are
> spending way too much money on overpriced textbooks and top-heavy
> administrative groups.

--Amen, amen, and, oh, by the way, AMEN!  How I could go on and on about
this!! :(

fwiw, I eschew a formal textbook in favor of reprinted articles here and
there, ACM articles that are PDF'd... and, oh, buying Rev!

> Furthermore, I have a few friends who are professors and in their more
> lucid moments, they freely admit that the grants they get for specific
> kinds of research can pay for LOTS of expensive tools. They beg for
> table scraps not because they need them but because that saves them
> money to buy other tools whose publishers won't cave on the educational
> discount front.

--Hmmm... don't get no stinkin' grants!  I begs for table scraps 'cause I
needs them...

Still, I think that the educators on this list aught to band up and figure
out ways to evangelize the product.  It costs us little (I think) and
helps us justify our tool of choice.  We somehow have to get publication
notice -- both refereed and 'popular' press reviews, articles, etc.
written and published.

I need to work on my own Rev 'case study' for the company... and others do
too.  It would be good if we could all focus on a slightly different facet
(for example, as my class is largely CS-majors, focus on producing proof
of concept game dev stuff in short order; perhaps Devin @ BYU could take
the newbie/humanities angle... Marty can do the middle-school intro to
programming...).

Aren't I great for coming up with work for *other* folks? @;-)

Judy