Creating more (and specific) lists...Was ???

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Sep 4 13:53:01 EDT 2004

Dave LeYanna wrote:

> I may well be that RunRev has matured enough and has a diversified enough
> following to warrant a few separate lists.

It's already happened:

- use-revolution:
   This list, general discussion about using Transcript and
   the Rev IDE

- improve-revolution: discussion for Enterprise license holders
   about advances feature requests, defining them there before
   submitting them to Bugzilla

   Working group to create, refine, and present recommendations
   for improving documentation from RunRev and possibly third
   parties as well.

   Working group for the ongoing enhancement of the MetaCard IDE

   Working group for an open source library to provide inter-
   process communication between Rev-built apps using TCP.

- Revolution Board DE <http://www.revolutionboard.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl>:
   German-language discussion of Revolution.

- revJournal <http://www.revjournal.com/>:
   While not a discussion list per se, it is the premier
   webzine for Revolution developers and has some feedback
   discussion from readers there.

   Discussion on refining proposals for new language extensions
   with the aim of encouraging all xTalk vendors to implement
   new language features consistently across products.

   Discussion for planning meetings of the Southern California
   Rev User Group.

   New working group for defining a standard for handling
   component metadata in software developed with Rev.

There may be others as well.  I've heard tell of an education-focused
list, but couldn't find it.  It might be useful to start one.

Remember that the Transcript community is more than 14 years old; while
Revolution was born a few years ago, the MetaCard technology on which
it's based was born in 1992.  Given the maturity and breadth of the
ever-evolving community, it's not surprising that there are so many
venues for discussing different aspects of programming with Rev.  It's
like dining at a restaurant that serves one main dish and has a broad
range to choose from on the desert tray.

Dreamcard is positioned as a very different product from Rev, addressing
a very different audience.  If for no other reason than to help RunRev's
positioning of the product, I think it would be useful to have a new
list focused on that product.  There may be other good reasons as well,
and as we see it would not be without precedent. :)

I have no doubt that a good many of the contributors here will also
subscribe to that list.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation