Scrollbars and LittleArrows

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 3 22:05:59 EDT 2004

On 9/3/04 6:34 PM, Arthur Urban wrote:

> Now when I select a scrollbar in the editor, the properties window opens and
> tells me that my arrow click and thumb click values are -1.

I don't see that here. A new scrollbar has a startvalue of 0 and an
endvalue of 65535. Arrow click is 512. Thumb position is 0. (But you
normally don't have to set the thumbposition in the inspector.) There is
no value at all for barclick, nor should there be in a little arrows
scrollbar.

> The property
> inspector wont even allow /me/ to enter a minus sign.

That's right. The values must be positive integers. The start value
(which is normally 0 for most things) and end value (the number the
scrollbar tops out at) represent the range. You can't have a negative
range; that is, you can't have a starting point that is less than nothing.

> Worse, if I change
> them both to 1, and then click off the the scrollbar and then immediately
> click it again, the properties window has set them to -1 again! If I change
> them both to 4, the propery window changes them to -4! What the ...?

I'm not sure why you are getting the weird behavior, but the arrow click
(in Transcript, the "lineInc") represents the amount the scroll will
change each time the user clicks the up or down arrows. For a little
arrow scrollbar, this is the only value that really matters because the
thumb area of the scrollbar is not visible. You won't need to worry
about the bar click value (the "pageInc"); don't mess with it. On larger
scrollbars, the bar click value is the amount the scrollbar will move
when the user clicks in the bar itself. That usually represents a
page-worth, or a field's-worth.

You can't set the the thumb to move a negative distance. The amount of
change must be a positive number. The scrollbar control itself manages
the direction of the change.

I remember your previous post about thinking little scrollbars behaved
backwards. Are you trying to set it to a negative so it will work in
reverse? That'd be a neat work-around, but you can't do it.

> This dang control was working just an hour ago, and without me doing any
> editing at all, it just magically starts to screw up. Is this an issue only
> with the Trial version? This control type is litterly useless for me.

No, it isn't due to the trial version. Something else may be
interfering. I'd try deleting the scrollbar entirely and making a new
one; you should get the default values back that way.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com