draw tool for text?

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Sep 2 17:22:29 EDT 2004

>Message: 18
>Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:30:34 -0500
>From: Louis Janus <janus005 at umn.edu>
>Subject: draw tool for text?
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>While I know that most text in these programs belongs in one of the
>many varieties of fields, I would like to add some letters along a
>freehand curve -- not necessarily straight horizontal. I think most
>other draw-like programs let me do this. As a bad attempt at
>overcoming this, I painted the letters using the paintbrush -- but it
>looks like a 1st grader's first attempt at carving the alphabet.
>
>Any suggestions? (I am using Dreamcard).

Louis,

This probably isn't quite what you are looking for but it is a poor
man's implementation which will give you text on a curve.  You will
need Turtle Graphics for this. See RunRev's Dreamcard web site at:
http://downloads.runrev.com/stacks_apps/#learn Download the Turtle
Graphic stack.

The handler:

on mouseUP
   put "This is a semicircle" into tMessage
   put the number of chars in tMessage into tNum
   startTurtle
   setHeading 90
   penUp
   repeat with i = 1 to tNum
     forward 20
     right 180/tNum
     label char i of tMessage
   end repeat
end mouseUP

will draw the text "This is a semicircle" on a semicircle.

Jim