CGI Fiction Search Example

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Sep 2 11:20:54 EDT 2004

On 9/2/04 9:22 AM, Gregory Lypny wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to run Jacqueline Landman Gay's Fiction Search CGI example on
> my iBook.  I think I've set the correct file permissions for the files
> in the CGI bin; everything is read-write.  But when I try to do a search
> in my browser, it loads for a very long time and then I get the
> following internal server error (no. 500):
>
> ---------------- copied from browser---------------
> Internal Server Error
>  The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
> unable to complete your request.
>
>  Please contact the server administrator,  [no address given] and inform
> them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
> that may have caused the error.
>
>  More information about this error may be available in the server error
> log.
>
> Apache/1.3.29 Server at hurricane.local Port 80
> ---------------- end of copied from browser---------------
>
> The same thing happens when I try to run her world.mt.  What am I doing
> wrong?

There isn't any way to know until you look at the system log. What OS
are you on? If it is OS X, the log is located at:

/private/var/log/httpd/error_log

You may have to use the Finder's "Go" menu to type in the path since
those folders are normally invisible on OS X. I usually place an alias
to the error log on my desktop so I can open it easily while I'm debugging.

The last reported error will be at the bottom of the log. If there is a
scripting error, the engine will provide a clue to the command that
failed. If there is an installation or permission error, you'll see that
too.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com