Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer" ?

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 1 20:00:25 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 03:56 PM, John Ballard wrote:

> For example,  Southwest Airlines initially did not focus on competing
> with
> other airlines for existing business. Instead, they focused on what
> would
> entice long-distance drivers into flying. They succesfully launched
> themselves by selling airfare to people that would have otherwise
> driven for
> their trips. Of course now they now compete across the board, but
> that's
> what got them off the tarmac.
>
> I would assume the 10-hour trial was based on some reasoning--some
> studies
> of the target market? Personally, I detest time limits. Feels like a
> time
> bomb is on my machine.  I would prefer a "Made with Trial version"
> flagrantly stamped on top of all cards until a license is purchased.
>
> John

Brilliant strategy, Southwest Air that is. I keep thinking that a save
restricted demo version of Dreamcard that could open tutorial stacks
without any time restrictions would get all the resentment caused by a
time limitation out of the customer's mindset. Just make it not capable
of saving or standalone construction. Then a set of instruction modules
could be opened to learn programing with.

Mark