problems running Rev standalones under Panther with limited user accounts

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Fri Oct 29 16:45:47 EDT 2004

Okay, let's see if I can explain this well enough for it to make sense. :-)

A while back I posted a message about setting limitations under user
accounts in Mac OS X, and how Rev standalones do not let you check them as
allowable applications to run (this is reported as bug #2232, btw).  You can
check them, but it doesn't stick.  So limited users can't run them.  You can
fix this by making an additional entry in the info.plist file in the
standalone bundle.  I've got this much working fine.

The problem now is under Panther only.  My standalone is installed to the
Applications folder.  When logged in with an admin account, it works as
expected.  But when I log in with a limited account, if I try to launch the
app, it flashes in the dock for a split second, I see the zooming effect of
the icon as if it's trying to run, but then it dies.  If I copy the app to
the limited user's directory, it runs as expected.  So something in the
security settings is preventing the app from running normally, at least I'm
guessing that's the case.  But all other applications run as expected when
logged in with the limited user.  I've tried playing with the security and
permissions settings on my app's folder, but can't quite seem to get the
right combination of settings.

So, has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is there a workaround for it?
Remember that this only happens in Panther (10.3.5).  If I set up a limited
user in Jaguar (10.2.8) with the same settings, the application runs as
expected.  Very weird!  Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Sheffield
Software Development
Read Naturally