Linux KDE & GNOME question

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Oct 28 15:38:37 EDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> Note that this will make a very marginal difference in most cases.
> Unless there is an issue related to drag&drop, the clipboard, or
> window size/resizing/maximizing/moving, etc., this should make no
> difference whatsoever.  It's not impossible that it could be throwing
> off environment variables or something, but it is highly unlikely that
> this is a problem.
>
> You can run GNOME apps within KDE and vice versa; it's a matter of
> having the appropriate libraries installed.  They might not obey all
> of the appearance conventions, but they should still work.
>
> On Oct 28, 2004, at 3:09 PM, Mark Talluto wrote:

>>> Yes, I'd have to say that I do. KDE tends to lean toward doing
>>> things in ways that Windows and Mac users find "normal" and
>>> comfortable. Gnome tends to do things in its own techniques.
>>>

>> Thanks again Troy.  I have a tech support issue with a customer that
>> is using Mandrake.  I'll have him try the KDE environment and see if
>> this make a difference.

I see Frank.  My particular issue has to deal with palettes not
floating over toplevel windows as they should.  Mark Waddingham created
an external that fixes this issue in Rev when running in Linux.  I have
an e-mail in to him right now regarding what the preferred specs are
for this external to work.  Until this bug is resolved in the engine, I
need to find the optimal solution for this hack.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto