GeekSpeak Cheat Sheet

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 26 16:14:24 EDT 2004

Judy Perry wrote:
> And, FWIW, whenever I do hear back later from a student in the workplace,
> those students have gone out of their way to tell me how this type of
> instruction most definitely did make a difference in helping them get a
> job.  Clearly, not the majority, but it's nice to know that some people
> still consider the merits of UI design training :-D

And as far as jobs in the US goes, it may be far more relevant to teach
design and project management skills than straight programming,
certainly more so than teach commodity languages like VB or Java.

If universities choose to devolve into mere trade schools, perhaps the
best assistance they could offer programming students is a one-way
ticket to Bangladore. ;)

But if they teach managerial and design skills, those non-commodity jobs
are the most likely to remain available in the US throughout the 21st
century.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation