Revolution standalones and Windows terminal services

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Oct 25 20:18:29 EDT 2004

Chris-

Monday, October 25, 2004, 9:48:20 AM, you wrote:

CS> I’m not very familiar with terminal services or how it works, but do any of
CS> you have network applications out there running off a Windows 2003 server
CS> using terminal services?  I had a call from a customer today who said that
CS> he got the server portion of our app running fine (installs Valentina
CS> server), and installing and running the client applications on the server
CS> itself works fine.  But when he goes to a workstation and tries to run the
CS> application, black boxes appear where most buttons should be. Sounds like
CS> some kind of a display or video card incompatibility to me, but it works
CS> fine running on the server itself.  And from what I understand about
CS> terminal services is that the workstations, which are pretty much just dumb
CS> terminals, use everything (hardware) from the server.  Is that not correct?
CS> So why would things not display on the workstations?

CS> The buttons in question are custom buttons with png graphics for the most
CS> part.  If anyone has any ideas at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

The problem, I think, is with Microsoft's implementation of RDP more
than anything else. If the customer has the budget, Citrix Metaframe
is a more capable platform. Some apps work with Terminal Services,
some don't, and some result in something like what your client is
seeing. You might have your client check the RDP settings, especially
the display settings. Terminal Services is notorious for messing up
things that otherwise display fine.

I just checked and I can display png graphics through Terminal
Services and I can run rr standalones that display jpg images in
buttons.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net