Referenced control

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon Oct 25 14:13:46 EDT 2004

Dag Ryno,

> I want to put a large movie (126 Mb) onto a CD and play it from a Rev
> standalone file. Part of our school yearbook...
>
> (Rev does not appear to want to build a standalone with an imported
> movie of this size. Is there an optimum file size not to exceed when
> building a standalone?)

An old rule of thumb (from the old MetaCard staff!):

A stack will work BEST, if it is not bigger than 4 to 5 MB...
OK, that was a couple of years ago and today maybe 10-15 MB...??? WILD
guess ;-)

> It was simple to reference it on the Mac and it works well in the Rev
> stack building environment.
> Next, I built a standalone for the Windows platform, half expecting
> the movie to be in the data folder.
> It isn't.

Yep, Rev does not copy referenced files to the standalone folder...

> Where should I put the movie, and at what point?

How do/would you reference the movie on your mac?

> If I am to put it on the CD, together with the standalone, but not
> inside the data folder,
> is it enough simply to have it in the same folder as the Rev stack
> while referencing it?

I all depends on the FILENAME of your player-object...

Of course you could set it dynamically, but i would suggest to use
relative paths right away
also in the dev environment...

This way there won't be any problems ever with referenced files
(images/sounds/videos etc...)

I always set the directory to the stack i am working at and that will
become the standalone...

When a standalone starts up, "the directory" is automatically set to
the folder the standalone
"lives" in...

So if you have a folder "videos" (or subfolders or whatever) inside
this folder (where the standalone...)
you can simply set the filename of your player to
"videos/its_the_arts.mov" and it will be found...

I mostly use the import button and then delete the first part of the
resulting absolute part! Less typos ;-)

So:

/Volumes/Ablage/videos/McLaughlin/john_shakti1.mov

will become:

videos/McLaughlin/john_shakti1.mov

Rev will use an absolute path if available and will also be happy to
find a relative path
inside the current folder a.k.a "the directory"...

So in dev environment i set the directory to:

/Volumes/Ablage

and relative paths work very fine, ALWAYS!

Hope that helps :-)

> Baie dankie uit Kaapstad.
>
> Ryno.
> home page: http://artistvision.org (...a work in progress...)