[ANN] FrontBase database drivers for Revolution

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 11:00:49 EDT 2004

--- Bill <bill at bluewatermaritime.com> wrote:

> Thanks for letting us know. I went to your website
> and saw that it costs
> $999 for a frontbase license. Do you have some place
> on the website
> comparing frontbase to MySql so that I could see
> why?

Hi Bill,

Though I haven't used FrontBase yet (I sure hope to
find the time soon to see what it can do) I'm afraid
there's a noticable difference between MySQL and other
commercial databases (yes, MySQL is _not_ free ; read
the license terms).
MySQL may be fast, but takes significant shortcuts,
such as not supporting full SQL-92, ignoring
constraints, lacking support for triggers and stored
procedures.
While you can develop a lot of projects just fine in
MySQL, you had better taken a close look at
alternatives that cost money (or in the case of
PostgreSQL, a free alternative).
This 'upper' class of RDBMS's are ACID compliant,
delivering support for transactions, sporting database
recovery mechanisms, replication, _full_ support for
SQL-92, etc.
For mission-critical applications, I'll go with a
commercial database.

Jan Schenkel.

=====