Compatibility with current technologies

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 23 20:45:57 EDT 2004

John Rule wrote:
> Windows CE .NET 4.2 is the current 'embedded' OS used in many of the tablet
> PC devices. Here is a link with more info about CE .NET 4.2 (watch the
> wrapping on this link):
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncenet/htm
> l/tchcomparisonofwindowscenet42pocketpc2002windowsmobile2003softwareforpocke
> tpcs.asp
>

> This is actually related to a long time request of RR being compatible with
> Windows CE, but now that the OS is much more robust (with CE .NET), I have
> many competitors coming out with software for these embedded devices...and I
> can't using RR. I am starting to get frustrated at the lack of interest in
> this area on the part of RR.

What gives you confidence that the reason it isn't here today is
specifically because of a lack of interest?  There are so many
priorities to sort through....

I have one client who wants to deploy on Palm and CE, and given the many
UI limitations of these systems and the plethora of existing deployment
options there we're just gonna port his data to one of the many CE
database solutions.

Not that I wouldn't use a Rev solution if it were available, mind you,
just that we know a Rev solution would still mean a radical rewrite
anyway given the deep differences between CE and desktop systems.

> Speaking of embedded...
>
> Whatever happened to the embedded option anyway? This was something I wanted
> to look into with MetaCard, and it disappeared before I had a chance to
> explore it...is it still available? Would this option work (at least) with
> embedded XP? Embedded Linux?
>
> I am posting this here because others might be interested in this.

I'm not familiar with the details of the embedded option, but hopefully
someone from Rev can chime in here on that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation