Using QT player for animation in background

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Oct 23 15:04:00 EDT 2004

On Oct 23, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Klaus Major wrote:
> To be able to "overlay" controls on a quicktime player you will have to
> set its "alwaysbuffer" to true!
>
> But then the playback is ehmm.. extremely jerky...
> To put it straight: You can't do that! Sorry :-(
>
> I am no techie, but i think QT "claims" that part of the screen where
> the video is playing* and nothing else can "bother" it...
> * and does refresh that part on its own!

It is possible using the QT API to set the the playback region for a
movie meaning you can cut out portions of a movie so nothing draws
there.  This is useful for doing picture in a picture where you have a
thumbnail version of a movie playing in an upper corner of a larger
movie.  Since QT isn't trying to draw two movies in the same part of
the screen both play back really well.  I've played around with this in
the eQT external and it works but all of the layering is happening
within the player object itself as opposed to layering Rev objects on
top of the player.  I imagine something similar could be done with the
player object and Rev UI objects which would be pretty cool although it
would have to take into account the rounded corners of buttons, etc.
which is a little trickier.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia