someone noticed this one?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Oct 22 11:49:55 EDT 2004

On Oct 22, 2004, at 8:12 AM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

>> I have to say that i am not very happy with these news,
>> especially with the two marked items above...
> Or the one about "porting solution originally written in ..." ?
> Doesn't a very similar statement appear on a number of websites of
> contributors here ?

This seems to be a trend in small software tool development
companies... competing with their own clients.

REAL software went the other way, and charges a fee to be on their
reference list, and then they provide business leads to those
companies, rather than taking the work for themselves, which I'm told
is extremely successful for both them, and the companies which buy in
to their service. This provides them an alternate revenue stream, and
takes advantage of their marketing expenditures, without biting the
hand which feeds them. But it also requires some marketing critical
mass, which they have going for them.

RunRev is in a bit different position. It's too bad, because it
generally results in some bad blood with developers with overlapping
services... although the claim is always that it won't.

I've seen this before, and I'm glad that I'm not one of the developers
who will lose work over this sort of thing. I feel for those who may.
The bigger disappointment, is that it always takes away from the core
product development, and there are generally a lot of resources devoted
to what become proprietary solutions for a specific "enterprise
service."

Tribeworks went this route with iShell... which is now almost
completely off the map.  :-(

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.