unicode menus

Kenji Kojima index at kenjikojima.com
Fri Oct 22 09:14:05 EDT 2004

ron,

> 1. Thanks for you suggestion. I was unclear what was becoming mojibake
> (junk). It is not the menu name but the contents of the menu. It
> consistently corrupts itself, even after I set it to the unicodetext
> of a fld, as Tuviah suggested. I am still working on this problem, it
> appears to affect only the file and edit menus. The others maintain
> their items.

I did not have MOJIBAKE when I set menus from a field.

But I had another problem:
I thought I could show the last two items of Edit menu on menubar, but
not this time.
It was not only Edit menu but also every menu.
(I could show every menu item on a card)

> Typing a tab and unicode text into the property inspector seems to
> shift the text so that it changes into junk chars. after the tab.

Make like this

	tab + 1 byte space and Japanese characters

You can avoid MOJIBAKE.
But you cannot use menuHistory in this case.

> 2. Encouraged by Tuivah, I kept trying multiple cascading menus and
> they can be done, my problem was with a particular character. The
> Japanese char. for 'color' - iro - would not show up in a menu for
> formating text. The menu has 4 items: font, size, style, color all in
> Japanese. They are all cascading. The last menuitem does not show up
> unless I change it to 'textcolor' or something. This is only a problem
> when it is put in the menubar of OS X, not as a btn on the card. Can
> you confirm this?

I could not find this problem.
Can you send me the menu names and items in Japanese?

> 3. The menupick is returned as a unicode string, but it does not get
> caught by the switch statement in the script of the menu.
> How do I evaluate the menupick with unicode?

Most of all time I use the menuhistory.
If you like to evaluate the menupick with unicode, convert to another
code.
We cannot read it but much better than MOJIBAKE unicode
for Ex.
	 put urlEncode(uniDecode(pWhich, "Japanese"))  -- you can read a part
of English and numbers

--
Kenji Kojima
http://www.kenjikojima.com/