unicode menus

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Thu Oct 21 12:50:57 EDT 2004

Thank you Tuviah for your response. You have done some good things with
unicode thus far which is why its so frustrating when it doesn't seem
to work as advertised. It's usually something that I'm doing wrong
rather than Rev., but it sure is frustrating in the meantime.

On Oct 22, 2004, at 1:14 AM, diskot123 at juno.com wrote:

>> 1. How did you make cascading menus in unicode?
> Easiest way to do it would be to create a field, set the tabstops
> property, then start typing japanese into it. Then set then textfont
> of the button to a japanese font and set the text of the btn to the
> unicodetext of the field.

Thank you, I will try this method tonight or tomorrow.

>> 2. How did you handle the File/Edit menus in unicode in OS X?
> The last two items of the file menu (rather the first menu) will be
> deleted regardless in OSX, so it should be a divider and quit. For the
> edit button it looks at the buttons name and if the name is "edit" it
> delete the last two items of that menu as well. If you need the edit
> menu to display the title in japanese, set the label of the button.

So the name of the first menu doesn't matter?

I have the labels set in Japanese. The names like "Edit" are in
english. The Edit menu consistently turns into junk chars.

> Last time I checked creating submenus worked fine in the IDE.

Typing a tab and unicode text into the property inspector seems to
shift the text so that it changes into junk chars. after the tab.

Tabs can be added in the menu builder, but when the menu is actually
used in the menubar, the junk chars show up all on one line after the
tab. Also, if two cascading menu items are included, only the first one
shows up.

Ron