Little #%$*! Arrows

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Oct 19 23:18:02 EDT 2004

>>> I'm getting an error when I use the Little Arrows object from the
>>> Object
>>> Library supplied with 2.5.
>>>
>>> When I press the up arrow or the down arrow, it executes a handler
>>> that
>>> increments the associated field containing the number being
>>> incremented.
>>> Even though the handler is there in the script of the Little Arrows
>>> button,
>>> the error says it can't find it.
>>>
>>> I've traced the script.  It seems that it finds and executes the
>>> correct
>>> handler and when it comes to the end of that handler and control is
>>> returned
>>> to the line that called the handler, the error occurs saying it can't
>>> find
>>> the handler.
>>>
>> If I remember correctly, it needs a closeField handler in the field
>> you
>> are incrementing. The handler can be empty if you don't want it to do
>> anything, but it must be present. And don't forget to set the 2 custom
>> properties that dictate the maximum & minimum values.
>>

> Yes, I did overlook the closeField handler requirement.  However, when
> I put
> it in the field script, in one instance, it prevents the error but
> doesn't
> update the counter.  In another instance it just gave the same error.
> It
> seems that I am making it too hard but can't see the problem... Jim

Jim,

I just tried setting up a little arrows object and here is what I had
to do:
- use the object library to place the little arrows in my stack
- create a field, I called it "Numbers" and put a starting number in it
e.g. 1
- set the cTargetField property of the little arrows object to Numbers
(the name of my field)
- edited the script of field Numbers to include an empty "closeField"
handler.
- added 2 new custom properties to the field "Numbers": cMaxValue (10)
and cMinValue (0)

After that, the arrows all worked fine. if you want a sample stack,
just let me know.

Cheers,
Sarah