use-revolution Digest, Vol 13, Issue 38

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Oct 17 21:50:55 EDT 2004

Judy Perry wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> Well, you could use soundChannels... but, oops, that's a Hypercard thingy,
> isn't it?!
>
> Ummm, I don't think I've ever seen a good reason why this couldn't be done
> in Revolution other than it isn't. The traditional explanation from I
> think Scott Raney was something to the effect that it wasn't possible
> because PCs use so many different sound cards.  But, then, how is it that
> PC games seem to support multiple simultaneous sounds?
>
> Is it possible in Director or Flash, anyone?

The two-channel sound system is a Mac Classic thang. Tiger's new audio
architecture goes far beyond it, and while requests have already been
mounting up for support of that in Rev I know it's a challenge to do so
in a way that's both satisfying abd well justified given OS X's audience
size.   That is, my hunch is there may be some support for it down the
road, but maybe not on the day Tiger's released.

Variance among PC sound cards is no better than the variance among PC
video cards and to some degree motherboards -- it's a compatibility
nightmare.  Maybe Tuviah has the patience to deal with such a herculean
task (he's shown heroic dilligence with with QT work thus far) but I can
understand's Scott's reluctance to dive into it with all the other
things he was working on in the engine.

I'm not sure about Director and Flash, but given that both are
timeline-driven and Director has been architected since its birth for
strictly multimedia work (while making more traditional apps is not its
strong suit), it may be the case that they have their own sound
subsystem that handles multi-channel sound quite well.  Troy?

Rev's implementation of QT does provide multiple sound channels.  For
example, in the opening cloister of Brian Thomas' "If Monks Had Macs" we
have up to four QT's running simultaneously, with three of them being
audio (a ringing bell, monks chanting, and birds chirping).  But where
Monks differs from the project that started this thread is the
requirement for tight control over the timing.  As QT experts like
Trevor can attest, the general QT API Rev uses for audio playback is
great but also subject to QT's latencies.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation