Memory problem

David Kwinter david at kwinter.ca
Fri Oct 15 20:35:10 EDT 2004

This seems like a beginner question so let's keep it simple. For a
dictionary application I'd recommed using custompropertysets to
differentiate the groups of words starting with a-z and then a
customproperty for each word.

Duane, try these handlers in a card or stack script:

on saveWord wordName,wordData
    put char 1 of wordName into wordGroup
    set the custompropertyset of this card to wordGroup
    set the wordName of this card to wordData
end saveWord

function retrieveWord wordName
    put char 1 of wordName into wordGroup
    set the custompropertyset of this card to wordGroup
    put the wordName of this card into x
    return x
end retrieveWord

Then to save an entry, make a button (or whatever) with a script like:
on mouseUp
    put "Word" into wordName
    put "Definitions, etc" into wordData
    send "saveWord "&wordName,wordData to this card
end mouseUp

and to retrieve a word:
on mouseUp
    put retrieveWord("Word")
end mouseUp

Let us know how well it works with your thousands of words!