Hideous "revdberr,invalid database type" returns in standalones

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Fri Oct 15 16:50:23 EDT 2004

Computers can be strange sometimes.  I had tried the console before for
debugging info, and it wasn't being all that helpful.  Now I tried it
with the "Mark" button, and for some reason the standalone actually
worked!  Go figure.

Now I am building standalones which work under OS X, but a few seconds
after I click the "OK" button in the box telling me that the standalone
was saved successfully, the Rev IDE crashes.  According to the console,
it quit upon receiving a signal 11.  Hmm....

At any rate, I also had a small problem whereby an unexplained black
bar showed itself across the bottom of my stack window immediately
after the standalone opened.  Switching to another card was enough to
get rid of it, and after switching back it was no longer there.  I
still can't figure out why this happened, but a small workaround, in
case anyone else experiences the problem, is to put code like this in
your preOpenStack handler:

lock screen
go to card <a different card>
go to card <the first card, or whichever one you want>
unlock screen

This is not happening consistently across multiple stacks, so I am not
sure if it is just a random thing or if 2.5 is reacting to something
strange about my particular stack, or what, but that code seems to work
for me anyway.

> Frank - it doesn't sound like this will be exactly the same as the
> problem
> you report; both the exact symptoms are different (standalone doesn't
> work
> even on your development machine) and your working with PostgreSQL
> rather
> than ODBC, so it probably isn't related to the iODBC libraries.  But I
> certainly recommend (if you haven't tried this already) opening the
> Console
> app on your X.3.5 machine (located in /Applications/Utilities),
> clicking the
> "Mark" button, and then running your standalone, and see if you get any
> useful messages as it fails.

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$