Hideous "revdberr,invalid database type" returns in standalones

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Oct 15 15:36:41 EDT 2004

Thanks to Mark Waddingham of RunRev, who responded on the improve- list
suggesting that I use the Mac OS X Console to spot loading errors.

This revealed that Rev was trying load version 3.51 of the iODBC frameworks
from the machine's library.  It turned out that my development machine had
both 3.5 and 3.51 of these libraries; but the test machine, on which I'd
freshly downloaded and installed the OpenLink SQL Server driver (which also
installed the iODBC frameworks) had only 3.5.   Modifying the
/Library/Frameworks folder on the test machine to match mine made it work.

I've posted some follow-up questions on the other list (what determines the
requirement; is Rev 2.5 hard linked to 3.51; what's the correct way to
install it, etc) but for now at least I get to go home tonight.

Tuviah - thanks for your swift response also.

Frank - it doesn't sound like this will be exactly the same as the problem
you report; both the exact symptoms are different (standalone doesn't work
even on your development machine) and your working with PostgreSQL rather
than ODBC, so it probably isn't related to the iODBC libraries.  But I
certainly recommend (if you haven't tried this already) opening the Console
app on your X.3.5 machine (located in /Applications/Utilities), clicking the
"Mark" button, and then running your standalone, and see if you get any
useful messages as it fails.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866