clone bug, or misleading docs?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Oct 15 10:29:01 EDT 2004

Hi Frank,

> I'm not sure if this is a Rev bug or a Documentation bug, so I thought
> I'd ask for a clarification of how others interpret this before I
> bugzilla the issue.
>
> According to the 2.5 docs for the "clone" command, using clone on a
> control (in my case, an image object), the copy is placed on the
> "current card."
>
> When I attempt to clone my image object, I use the following
> statements:
>
>     set the defaultStack to the topStack
>     clone image "field-box.png" of stack "Report Editor"
>
> Note that the topStack is *not* stack "Report Editor", since stack
> "Report Editor" is a palette.  The current card will now be the (only)
> card of the topStack, correct?  But the cloned image object ends up on
> the (only) card of stack "Report Editor", *not* on the current card.
>
> What should happen here:
>
> 1. Are the docs correct -- should the copy be placed in the topStack?
> 2. Should the copy be placed on the card that the original is on, in
> the same stack as the original -- bad docs?
> 3. Should the copy be placed on the current card of the same stack as
> the original -- misleading docs?
>

> I would like to see #1 as the answer myself, but I suspect that #3 is
> what the docs are trying to imply.  Should this be bugzilla'd then as
> a request to fix the docs (#3), to fix the engine (#1), or as a
> feature request (#1)?  I'm "confused" here.

 From the dox:
If the object is a control, its copy is placed on the current card, 32
pixels below
and to the right of the original object.

Well, this implies to me (a non native english speaking person :-) that
the copy will be found
on the same card as the original object. To me the "current card" is
the card where the
"object to be cloned" is placed on...

So i would say nr. 2 is the one, but without word -2 to -1 ;-)

> Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101 at fjrhome.net>

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de