$HTTP_REFERER in Rev CGI globals

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Oct 14 11:40:34 EDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 11:39 AM, Terry Vogelaar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to make a CGI that uses a user name and password to determine
> what privileges the user has. But using the browser history, another
> person that uses the computer after he has closed the session, can
> resume it without having to know the password.
>
> Normally with CGI, PHP or ASP there is an elegant solution to it by
> using $HTTP_REFERER to check where the user comes from. It is also
> very useful to find out which search engines and link pages are
> actually used. But I can't find it in the list of web server globals
> when using a RunRev CGI. Can it be made available in any way? Is there
> an alternative way to be sure the user isn't using the bookmarks or
> the history of his browser?
>
> Terry

Terry,

I think apache sets this variable as a common shell variable during the
execution of the rev engine. So you can access it like any other shell
variable. Use the msgbox to inspect all the globals and you see the
syntax, try a put $HTTP_REFERER in the cgi. Anyway, do not put all your
trust on this, it can be faked....

andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL
http://studio.soapdog.org