OS X Externals

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Oct 13 12:41:26 EDT 2004

That looks doable, but I would have preferred to have the value
returned by the function (as a return value).  I guess I will use (the
below) unless someone could tell me how to provide a binary return
value?

Thank you!

On Oct 13, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Thierry Arbellot wrote:

> You can return binary data in argument:
>
> for example
>
> in transcript
>
> 	local thebinaryData
>
> 	theExternalCommand "theBinaryData"
>
> in C program
>
> {
> 	int				retvalue;
> 	MCstring	rdata;
>
> // put here your process
>
> 	rdata.sptr = pointerToBinaryData;
> 	rdata.length = sizeOfbinaryData;
> 	SetVariableEx(args[0],"",&rdata,&retvalue);
> }
>
> On Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004, at 16:49 Europe/Paris, Frank D. Engel, Jr.
> wrote:
>
>> Aha!  Got it built and working.  It had something to do with the
>> prefix header, whatever that is.
>>
>> However, I now have a slightly different question.  Since one of
>> these functions returns a string with binary image data, that string
>> may contain null bytes -- not a problem for Rev, but as far as I can
>> tell, the return value from an external function call is
>> null-terminated.  How can I return a string value from an external
>> function and include embedded null characters in the string?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2004, at 9:22 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> I don't mind copying it when built; it should not need to be redone
>>> too often after I have it working; there are two functions which I
>>> translated to C from Transcript in order to improve performance
>>> (they are quite slow under Transcript, since they need to look at
>>> each byte in the text of an image).
>>>
>>> Toward the beginning of the C source code, I placed this line:
>>>
>>> char Xname[] = "PostgreSQL BLOB encoding functions external v0.0";
>>>
>>> (I previously posted the Transcript versions of the functions)
>>>
>>> At the end of external.c, I placed this code:
>>>
>>> Xternal Xtable[] = {
>>>     {"dbblob", XFUNCTION, 0, dbBLOB, dbabort},
>>> 	{"dbunblob", XFUNCTION, 0, dbUNBLOB, dbabort},
>>> 	{"", XNONE, 0, NULL, NULL}
>>> };
>>>

>>> Note that the 'dbabort' function simply contains an fprintf function
>>> call (outputs to stderr).
>>>
>>> What else would be needed to get this working?  I created an Xcode
>>> project using the "Carbon Bundle" template, and did simple changes
>>> to get the project to build with the following files listed when the
>>> project icon is selected in the left-hand pane:
>>>
>>> bytea-funcs.bundle (the target)
>>> Carbon.framework (from OS X)
>>> external.c (my code)
>>> InfoPList.strings (provided by Xcode, then modified)
>>> XCmdGlue.c (from the SDK)
>>> XCmdGlue.h (from the SDK)