MAC Address on Linux

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Oct 9 16:18:08 EDT 2004

On 10/9/04 11:42 AM, "Mark Talluto" <userev at canelasoftware.com> wrote:
 case "Linux"
>      if there is a file("/sbin/ifconfig") then
>        put shell("/sbin/ifconfig") into temp
>        get matchText(temp,"HWaddr[* ]([0-9A-Z:]*)",retVal)
>      else
>        return "An error has occured."
>      end if
>      break

(Sorry about that last one)

Thanks, Mark... I tried this in my copy of RedHat 9, and I don't get
anything with "HWaddr" in /sbin/ifconfig. When I looked at Mark Waddingham's
approach of doing "cat /proc/net/arp", I didn't get anything either. The
only thing I got with /sbin/ifconfig is the localhost address (127.0.0.1).

So perhaps it's not as universal as we'd think... any suggestions for
getting MAC address in RedHat 9?

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/