Why?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Tue Oct 5 13:01:02 EDT 2004

The first problem I noticed is that BLOBs do not work.  I have had this
problem since 2.2.1, and still seem to have them now with 2.5.

I have a simplified stack I threw together to test BLOB support, and
used the following handler in a button:

on mouseUp
   put image "Image 1" into x

   --revExecuteSQL the database of this stack, "INSERT INTO table1
VALUES (:1)", "*b" & "x"
   --if the result is not empty then answer the result

   put revQueryDatabaseBLOB(the database of this stack, "INSERT INTO
table1 VALUES (:1)", "*b" & "x") into q
   if q is not empty then answer q
   if q is a number then revCloseCursor q
end mouseUp

Note that I tried this (at least) two different ways: one as above, and
another by commenting out the code below the current set of comments
and uncommenting the currently commented ones.  In both cases, I get
the following message (I remember it was very similar if not exactly
the same under 2.2.1, I am running it under the 2.5 IDE now to write
this; I am using Rev Studio under OS X):

ERROR: unterminated quoted string at or near "<garbage characters>" at
character 28

This is a major problem for my project, since I need to integrate with
another program as well, which will synchronize the database with a
handheld device, including images containing signatures which will be
taken on the PDA and printed on a report I will generate from the
program I am writing in Rev.

The second problem I noticed (back with 2.2.1) was that
RevDB/PostgreSQL was not working under Linux or Solaris, though both
Windows and OS X worked fine, from standalones and from the IDE.

I tried everything I could think of as far as setting the "driver
path", but nothing I tried worked.

Now with 2.5, RevDB does not work with OS X standalones, either.  It
works fine from the IDE (!) and from Windows standalones.  This is yet
another major problem for me.  I can drop the idea of supporting Linux
and Solaris quite easily, but I do insist on supporting OS X, and I
will need to do so from standalones.

There may be some "trick setting" that I am missing, perhaps one that
you have found, but these are really slowing down my progress.  That is
why I am trying to write my own driver, to work around these things.

Of course, now I can't seem to get sockets working, either... :-(

I bugzilla'd the BLOB problem (#2080) and the Linux/Solaris/(now) OS X
problem (#2247), but a resolution to these bugs (or a recognition of
why they are not bugs -- I would be quite happy to fix these if they
are my problems, if someone can help me to figure out what I am doing
wrong) seems to be quite low on the priority list, or at least it is
taking a long time to get them fixed.

Any help with any of these issues would be very appreciated.