libURL -- FTP over SSH

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Oct 3 23:00:13 EDT 2004

Oh boy.... I don't know if it can be done easily, if you need I can
send you my FTPd code, the FTP  Server side is almost implemented,
there need to fix CWD and to implement STOR, but it might help to see
some libURL code that tries to ftp things.

Also, what about doing the other way, set up the ftp server on your
side and allow them to connect?

cheers
andre

On Oct 3, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Can libURL do FTP over SSH?
>
>  ... where the control connection is encrypted on port 22, but the
> data connection is unencrypted and  a new random port issued by the
> remote server for a new connection to open  a per file basis,... i.e.
> appears to handshake like PASSIVE mode...
>
> I had a terrible time with regular FTP to our new dedicated server at
> the OLM Data center in Connecticutt. They turned off ACTIVE for the
> whole center because of attacks, but regular  FTP on port 21/PASSIVE
> kept failing... the old problem of two firewalls unable to sort it
> out... I couldn't get a pipe to stand up for more then 10 files... 2
> minutes...
>
> When I switched to SSH over FTP... it was solid as a rock -- in fact
> I've been uploading data now for 21 hours with Interarchy, from Hawaii
> to Connecticutt.. and there hasn't been a single broken pipe in all
> that time... 22,000 files-3 gigs of data uploaded and 2.5 gigs more to
> go...
>
> Anyway I need to point all my Rev web generator scripts to the new
> server and hope that libURL will be able to do as good a job as
> interArchy, ideally it could do FTP over SSH but don't see any SSH
> entry in the docs. If not, I may be forced to resort to issuing
> applescripts  commands to tell interarchy to do the job... not a
> pleasant prospect, when single line commands are there in Rev.
>
> Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
> Himalayan Academy Publications
> at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
> katir at hindu.org